Pass/Fail Option

When a student has requested the pass/fail option for an enrolled course, the Office of the Registrar will not notify instructors about those students registering for the option. A grade of P is not counted in grade averages; a grade of F is included. A grade of P cannot be changed subsequently to a grade of A, B, C, or D.

Student Procedure

The following information is included as a courtesy for instructors interested in understanding the pass/fail application process. Students should consult Pass/Fail Option at Student Central.

Students should consult their school bulletins to determine eligibility and restrictions on the pass/fail options. The responsibility for approval of the pass/fail requests, as well as special regulations affecting the option, will rest with the deans of the students’ schools or divisions, under procedures established by the schools or divisions.

Students interested in taking classes under the pass/fail option should obtain pass/fail option forms from the deans of their schools.

  • Undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences should obtain the forms from their advisors in their major departments.
  • Kelley School of Business students are required to meet with an advisor in order to gain authorization for taking a course pass/fail; the advisor will fill out and submit the pass/fail form.
  • University Division students should read the University Division's Pass/Fail Option website and follow instructions.

All students should fill out the pass/fail option forms in full, obtain the appropriate signatures, and return them to the office of the deans of their schools by the published date. (See Pass/Fail Option Deadline for the appropriate academic term in the Official Calendar for more information.)