According to the Bloomington Campus Procedures on Early Evaluations approved by the Bloomington Faculty Council, all instructors teaching General Education Common Ground courses, as well as other courses in which there are freshmen or sophomores in University Division will receive a request for assignment of letter grade evaluations in the fourth week of the regular semester, with a submission deadline of the Sunday after the sixth week. The Student Engagement Roster should be used for early evaluation grades.
The method by which an early letter grade evaluation is determined, and the percentage of the final grade which that evaluation represents, are decided by the instructor. This evaluation will be accessible to the student and the student’s academic advisor. These evaluations are for counseling purposes and are not recorded on the students’ permanent records.
If you teach only graduate courses in which no undergraduate students are enrolled, you will not be required to enter Early Evaluation Grades.
For grade roster questions or questions about Early Evaluations, contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com or by phone at (812) 855-5680 Monday through Friday until 4:30 p.m.
The submission deadline established by the Bloomington Faculty Council is the Sunday after the sixth week of the semester.
Early Evaluation grades for Spring 2020 are due on Sunday, February 23rd.
Early Evaluation Grades submitted after the published deadline cannot be assured of inclusion in advising reports.
Please assign a letter grade (A+ through F; S or F for approved S/F graded courses) for each student on the roster.
Consult our Grade Value Explanation page for more information on acceptable grade value options.
- Except for General Education Common Ground courses, Early Evaluation grades are only required for students who are freshmen or University Division sophomores.
- Instructors will see grade rosters for only those classes where they are listed as the Primary Instructor.
- Instructors can assign grade proxy through the Faculty Center via One.IU. (See publication Assigning Grade Proxies and Enrollment Assistants.)
- Instructors will not see other instructors' grade rosters.
- Instructors who teach courses with undergraduate students should go to the Faculty Center via One.IU to find out whether they have grade rosters to submit for Early Evaluation.
- Students can view their Early Evaluation Grades online. After the deadline for submission of these grades, University Division notifies students with Early Evaluations of the location of the grades and provides reports for advisors.
Help & Resources
Should you need assistance, the following resources might prove helpful:
Student Engagement Roster
- SER Early Evaluation Help
- Student Engagement Roster at IUB
- Getting Started with SER in the Knowledge Base
- SER Faculty Video Channel
- SER Instructional How-To Videos