Instructions for entering Midterm Grades
By action of the Faculty Council (January 10, 1967), instructors are required to provide an evaluation of performance to each student not later than after two-thirds of the semester has elapsed. Additionally, the IU Bloomington Campus has a policy that instructors will assign letter grades at midterm for all freshmen and University Division sophomores. This population also includes high school students enrolled on campus for university credit. Student grades at midterm are used for counseling purposes and are not recorded on the students’ permanent records.
NOTE: If you teach only graduate courses that have no undergraduate students enrolled, you will not be required to enter midterm grades.
See the Grades section of the Official Calendar for the deadline for submission of midterm grades.
NOTE: Midterm grades submitted after this deadline cannot be assured of inclusion in student notifications.
Midterm grades are submitted electronically from most computers connected to the Internet.
See the Grades section of the Official Calendar to determine when electronic midterm grade rosters will be available online.
Grades can be securely entered online using OneStart or Oncourse. Midterm grade rosters are available for updating at all times except Monday – Saturday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m., and Sunday, 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Times given are Eastern Daylight Time.
- The midterm roster contains only the names of students who are in the midterm population; therefore, a roster may not exist or may list only a portion of the entire class.
- Instructors will see grade rosters for only those classes where they are listed as the Primary Instructor.
- Instructors can assign grade proxy through the Faculty Center in OneStart. (Instructions )
- Instructors will not see other Instructors' grade rosters.
- Instructors who teach courses with undergraduate students should go to OneStart or Oncourse to find out whether they have midterm grade rosters and will need to submit midterm grades.
- Students can view midterm grades through Student Center in OneStart.
- SAVE OFTEN !!! - If your session is inactive for more than 10 minutes, it will timeout and any grades entered but not saved will be lost. If you only have time to enter some but not all of your grades, you can save the partial roster and return to it later.
Midterm Grade Entry Tips
Open a new browser window - Always open a new browser window before accessing OneStart to enter midterm grades.
SAVE SAVE !!! - If your session is inactive for more than 10 minutes, it will timeout and any grades entered but not saved will be lost. If you only have time to enter some but not all of your grades, you can save the partial roster and return to it later.
If you click without clicking , you have not submitted your grades.
Approved and Submitted grades cannot be updated - Because midterm grades are not part of the permanent record, these grades may not be changed once they have been approved and submitted. Please individually notify any student(s) whose grade(s) have been changed.
Students can view their midterm grades online - Once the grading period is completed by the faculty, the University Division notifies students with midterm grades of the location and the date when midterm grade reports are available online.
To verify that grades were successfully submitted - A confirmation message is displayed at the top of the grade roster as soon as it has been approved.
For roster questions or questions about midterm grade entry - Contact the Office of the Registrar at (812)855-0121.
Instructions for entering Midterm Grades
Assigning Midterm Grades
Please assign a letter grade (A+ through F; S or F for approved S/F graded courses) for each student on the roster. The following special midterm grades may be used to provide additional information:
Excessive Absence Indicator
The M notation can be used in combination with only the grades of F or I (Incomplete) to indicate excessive absence.
- FM grade indicates students who are failing due to lack of attendance or who have never attended.
- IM grade indicates students for whom no progress evaluation is possible, whose current enrollment status is unknown, or who may be in the process of officially withdrawing.
Midterm Grade Assistance
Assistance with electronic midterm rosters will be available on a walk-in basisat 408 N. Union St.
If you have any additional questions, please call 855-0121.